It's January 13th and I have already broken all of my resolutions for the New Year. For starters, here I am, online, when I'm not supposed to be. I also worked today, when I wasn't supposed to do so. Yoga? Pfft. Don't make me laugh!
DHWI was fantastic, but it was really difficult to get everything done this week while I was in class all day every day. I learned so much that it was definitely worth it; I can't wait to get started on the project in my head. Anyway, classes start tomorrow. TOMORROW. My syllabus is done (what a nightmare - I was indecision personified), the course site is done, my nails are painted red (my favorite), and my outfit is picked out. I know the nails and outfit sound silly, but I'm not a morning person and need to have that stuff done ahead of time, plus, the less stress on the first day, the better off I'll be.
My reading resolution is the only one going well so far. Great Gatsby? Done - that's one. I also finished Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird"- that's two. Yes, technically that is not a "for fun" kind of book, but, you know what? It's my resolution and I can count whatever I want! I needed writing inspiration and finally got around to reading this, after one of my committee members told me about it over a year ago. I need to pick this week's book and fast! I'm thinking about Malcolm Gladwell's "Tipping Point." That's not my idea of a fun read, but it's been on my list for years, so I should probably just get it out of the way. Coincidentally, I came across this post on (where else?) twitter today - I told you I'm breaking resolutions left and right - and am inspired about sticking to this and fitting in reading time wherever I can.
Next week aka tomorrow I'm back on the resolution train again!
I'm just going to weigh in here that as far as I'm concerned, "Bird by Bird" could totally count as a "fun" book (or at least as a "crossover" book maybe?).
ReplyDeleteAlso, I read "Tipping Point" a few years ago, and remember it as a fast read.
I generally don't do resolutions because I know I'm going to feel like crap if I "fail" at them, and I really, really don't need anything else to be beating myself over. I kind of do... suggestions, things I'd like to do more of, so that I can check in with myself and adjust as desired, rather than get on myself.
Good luck with teaching tomorrow!
"Bird by Bird" is a fun AND useful book. A rare combination! I just wanted to chip in that I think that reading Gladwell's New Yorker piece about crime in NYC is a good substitute for reading all of "The Tipping Point." This is generally true about his books--unless you want more and more examples, the long magazine pieces have all the Big Ideas and some of the best examples. JMHO.
ReplyDeleteI think january is a terrible month for resolutions. I have enough trouble recovering from the holidays and the break to do much else. I've takend to making February resolutions (though the last few years I've only managed "finish the dissertation!!!"--this year's the year!). My husband has ended up making "goals for the year" that he can work on anytime, and that's been successful too.
ReplyDeleteI second the comments on Bird by Bird and Tipping Point.
Good luck on the first day tomorrow!
Bird by Bird was hilarious and I'm so glad I read it! Tipping Point starts tonight, just because I already have the book unpacked, but I may skim over the repetitive examples. I'm also starting David Allen's Getting Things Done because, well, just because. I want to, I guess. I know some of his basic ideas, but feel like I need more info to really get into it.
ReplyDeleteI generally like the idea of resolutions and clearly don't put that much pressure on myself to keep them! This year, however, I am trying to think of them as more like lifestyle changes than anything else because I do want to take better care of myself, both physically and mentally and the resolutions are all pretty much part of those general goals. So, I'm not beating myself up about it. I'm just going to continue incorporating them into my routine...or trying, anyways!
First day of class is over - I suppose that's one joy of only having one class this semester! How is it that I wrote a list of things to cover, covered the list, dismissed class early (bad professor!), and then remembered approximately five different things I also wanted to mention???
Regarding reading, I have been listening to audiobooks during my short commute for the past year or so. No more news. Rarely music. I love stories, and this way I get through a book or two a month. I joined Audible.com, and I made CDs of each book that I download (because for some reason they won't work on my very old iPod). Right now, I'm listening to a low-brow chick lit book.
ReplyDeleteOtherwise, I really only do pleasure reading for 15 minutes or so in bed each night. Right now, I'm reading Jane Austen's Persuasion on my Kindle.
I really wish I could get into audiobooks, but I haven't found any that I've enjoyed so far. I really like the physical act of reading, but I'll take a look at Audible.com and see if something works.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Persuasion is my favorite Austen! Love, love, love it.
Re audiobooks, pick by reader: some actors record audiobooks, so go for a voice you like.
ReplyDelete