January 2, 2014

I HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE.

Can you tell I'm excited? I am.

I haven't had insurance since I moved back from Canada and last month, thanks to Obamacare, I finally, finally, finally qualified for Medicaid because of the lowered income requirements. I was rejected twice before because, as an adjunct, I barely made too much money - just not enough money to actually be able to afford health insurance. In August I was denied Medicaid because I made $72 too much per month. In October, after my summer job was over, I was told to reapply and then denied again because I made $2 too much per month.

Two dollars.

I know there has to be a limit, but in what world does an extra $2 or even $72 mean someone can afford health insurance? It was so frustrating. I shed a tear or two over this, out of sheer frustration alone. Finally, though, a case worker called in December because they were reviewing applications to see who would qualify under Obamacare. I more than qualified, especially since I won't be teaching next semester and have only my part-time job to rely on now.

My card already came in the mail. I called today to choose the plan and primary card provider I want. Tomorrow I get to call to make an appointment for a physical. A physical! Woohoo!

7 comments:

  1. Hurrah! Isn't it nice to live in a country that shows signs of becoming civilized, however slowly? Now if we could just tackle the ever-increasing divide between rich and poor, and the casualization of various kinds of labor (we in higher ed aren't alone), and other parts of the fraying safety net, and the crumbling infrastructure, and. . . .well, at least it's good to have health care (even I, who have insurance through work at present, feel more secure knowing there will be affordable options if I end up doing some sort of freelance/consulting work before I'm eligible for Medicare, and several good friends with a variety of preexisting conditions who had been uninsured are also insured as of yesterday. Definitely cause for celebration.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for health insurance! That's very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad for you! And proud that progress is being made, however slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! It's great to see health care in this country coming around - slowly, very slowly. I had to do some more research on a primary care provider because the one I originally chose is not accepting new patients, despite all the websites, and the Medicaid office, saying she is. Anyway, I found a new one that I liked and called to make an appointment...for the end of March. That's the first available for new patients. Sigh. America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how getting a physical appointment is around here, even for long established patients with fairly good insurance. It's better for problem appointments, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! You sound so excited and I can’t blame you. You are nowentitled to a number of essential health benefits, as well as some associated expenses. This is really a positive development on health care.

    Season Reza

    ReplyDelete